The Senior Accountant role will be an integral member of the accounting team, responsible for maintaining the financial records of the company through precise record keeping, preparation of monthly financial statements, development of management reports, cash flow reporting, and strategic analysis. The candidate would most benefit from possessing an entrepreneurial spirit paired with strong accounting expertise; and a sharp analytical mind who can manage our processes and guide our financial strategy. They will need to ensure compliance with relevant accounting standards and contractual obligations.
As a member of a rapidly growing company that is leading and developing the new industry of carbon capture technology, the successful candidate will need to have demonstrated the ability to learn quickly and will be able to identify areas of improvement to implement solutions, while balancing other responsibilities. Our company culture is one where teamwork, adaptability, collaboration, continuous improvement, being results oriented, and having willingness to grow are core values. This position is highly visible, with regular interactions with other departments and executives.
Reporting to the Controller, the Senior Accountant will have varied responsibilities and should drive consistency within the accounting team and will collaborate with team members outside the accounting team to achieve company-wide results. After a track record of success in this role, the Senior Accountant will have the opportunity for advancement in the Accounting and Finance group and throughout the company organization.
• Financial Reporting and Analysis: Maintain financial records, reconcile general ledger accounts, prepare bank reconciliations, process payroll and other routine accounting procedures to support the closing of our financial records monthly and the preparation of accurate and timely financial statements, management reports and variance analysis to be utilized to identify trends, from which the Senior Accountant will provide actionable recommendations.
• Working Capital Management: Oversee the company’s cash flow, monitoring income and expenditures, and effectively managing cash receipts and disbursements to optimize financial performance, working capital and strategic investments.
• Invoicing: Preparing accurate invoices to commercial customers and the Department of Energy (DOE) in a timely manner, tracking payments, and addressing any billing inquiries.
• Disbursements: Reviewing the accuracy of invoices and other cash disbursements in comparison to purchase orders and contractual obligations, recording disbursements in the general ledger and maintaining all supporting documentation within the accounting system.
• Budgeting and Forecasting: Actively participate in the annual budgeting process and provide continuous forecasting to support strategic planning. Work closely with key stakeholders to identify income opportunities and cost-savings to drive profitability.
• Financial Process Enhancement: Continuously assess and improve financial processes, internal controls, and procedures to enhance efficiency, accuracy, and transparency. Implement best practices to streamline workflows and drive operational excellence.
• Compliance and Regulatory Affairs: Ensure compliance with all relevant financial and DOE regulations and US GAAP. Coordinate with external auditors during DOE and traditional financial audits and lead the preparation of necessary documentation and schedules.
• Business Collaboration: Partner with project managers and corporate managers in developing operational metrics that enable informed decision making.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Self-starter and eager learner with mental agility.
• Ability to work in a growth oriented business with an entrepreneurial aptitude.
• Exceptional analytical and problem-solving skills; enjoys learning through work.
• Thorough knowledge of US GAAP and other relevant accounting principles.
• Experience with financial reporting and analysis, budgeting, and forecasting.
• Strong understanding of regulatory compliance (DOE grant expertise is a plus) and experience with external audits
• Proficiency using accounting systems (QuickBooks) & reporting software (Power BI)
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, particularly Excel, and the broader MS365 collaboration tools (e.g. Loop, Teams, Planner)
• Excellent interpersonal and collaboration skills, highly motivated and results oriented, with strong organizational and communication skills.
• Ability to explain financial data and provide insight to non-financial ION personnel.
• Ability to balance multiple tasks simultaneously in a fast-paced environment, while maintaining attention to detail and managing deadlines and expectations
• Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field.
• Between 3-5 years of progressive experience in accounting, preferably comprised of time with a public accounting firm and private industry.
• CPA, CMA, or similar designation is preferred.
What We Offer:
• The salary for this position generally ranges between $92,000- $125,000 annually. This range is an estimate, based on potential qualifications and operational needs and may vary above and below the stated amounts.
• Additionally, this position is typically eligible for an annual bonus based on performance of the individual and the company.
• A comprehensive benefits package that includes 401k Match, Tuition Reimbursement, Disability Insurance, Medical Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Insurance, Career Training & Development Opportunities, generous Parental Leave, 120 hours of PTO in their first year of service in addition to 18 paid holidays per year!
This position is primarily in office. The work environment and physical demand characteristics are representative of those the employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The successful candidate will perform primarily sedentary office duties with occasional travel to other offices or development & construction sites. They may occasionally lift up to 10 pounds and may be required to sit, stand, walk, and use a computer.
We maintain a drug-free workplace. Candidates will be required to pass a pre-employment background investigation and drug test as a condition of employment. ION is proud to be an EEO employer.